Pages

2/24/2013

Strawberry Oat Muffins

Morning!  I thawed strawberries earlier this weekend for the delicious Strawberry Cheesecake Delight, but later made an adjustment to the recipe.  I wanted to use the strawberries before heading back to work this week, so I decided to try out a Strawberry Oat Muffin recipe from Spark People. 

Ingredients:
1 cup quick oats
1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk, but found a simple substitute on About.com.  You'll need milk and lemon juice.  Put 1 tablespoon lemon juice into liquid measuring cup.  Add milk for total of 1 cup liquid.  Let stand for 5 minutes.)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup strawberries, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a muffin tin, or use paper liners.  Prep your buttermilk substitute if necessary. 

In a small bowl, mix oats and butter milk.  Let stand for 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together egg, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla.  Add oat mixture.  Next, add the flour mixture, until just moistened.  Fold in strawberries.

Pour batter into each muffin cup 3/4 way full.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cup is clean.

Makes 12 muffins.

These were wonderful!  I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with different fruits - peaches, blueberries, etc. 



2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I have some strawberries in the fridge I need to use, and I think these are on the list now! Were your strawberries really juicy? I think I might need to adjust the liquid because mine have a lot of juice to them.

    Thanks for sharing. I found you on the Six Sisters' Stuff link party!

    ~Rachel from Courting Contentment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel!

      They were a little juicier than fresh strawberries, but not juicy enough to cut down on the overall liquid.

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Jenna

      Delete