Pages

1/20/2013

DIY Photo Pendants

I love DIY projects.  I enjoy the creative outlet and the ability to personalize all as many or as few details as I want.  After my grandma passed away last month, I knew I wanted to do something at my wedding to remember her.  I ran across these Crystal Pendants that I liked, but I found the crystal chandalier pieces to cause a slight distortion to the photo.  I spent some time browsing for alternatives online and found a great seller on Amazon called Beadaholique that sells a ton of jewelry related items.  I ordered a few different style tiles and other supplies and within just a few days had acquired all the supplied I needed for this project.  Just a side note, it took several days to complete due to dry time on the paints and glues.

Supplies:
Glass tiles of your choice (I chose a large 1 7/8 inch tile and 30x40mm glass piece from a pendant kit)
E6000 Industrial Strength Glue Adhesive
Small Plated Jewelry Bails
Jewely Wire, .18mm
Beads of your choice
Jewelry Wire Cutters
Jewelry Crimping Tool
Crimp Tube
Plaid's Folk Art Acrylic Paint (I chose silver)
Paint Brush
Printed Photos to fit the size of your tiles
Mod Podge 3D
Scissors

Directions:
First, apply E6000 to the back of the tile.  Slowly lay the tile onto the photo side and press gently to avoid air bubbles.  Allow 24 hours to dry.

Once the photo and pendant are adhered, cut excess paper from tile.  Then lay photo side down and cover with Modge Podge 3D.  Allow 24 hours to dry.

One Modge Podge is dry, paint one to two coats of silver paint on back of pendant. 

Next, attach a bail to your pendant using the E6000.  Let dry overnight.

 
Once pendant is dry, you're ready to string the wire with beads.  It is completely up to you how to do this - you can make a necklace, an ornament, whatever you'd like.  I chose to make a short beaded strand.  Once you achieve the desired length, strand the wire in opposite directions through the crimp tube to create a loop.  Pinch the crimp tool in place.
 
 
That's all there is to it.  I made one for my late grandma and one for my late aunt.  I'll either be tying them to my bouquet or to a vase with flowers in their memory.  I'm beyond pleased with how they turned out and am looking forward to having them with me on our wedding day.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment