Pages

1/24/2012

Melted Crayon Field of Flowers

Pinterest has a ton of beautiful pieces of artwork including melted crayon art.  I've seen several designs, but this one by JKCreate is one of my favorites.  I spent some time looking over the piece and decided I would try to recreate the design. 

Supplies:
Art Canvas - I used 16X20.
Crayons - I bought a box of 144 but only used the greens, browns, and yellows.  I also had to add in a few from a box of 12 and a box of 24 to cover edge to edge.
Hair Dryer
Splatter Protection
Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
Flower Embellishments




Directions:
First, I pulled all of the greens, browns and yellows from the box of Crayons. 


Next, I used the glue gun and glued each crayon onto the bottom of the canvas with the point towards the top.


After gluing all of the crayons to the canvas, I was ready to set up my melting station.  As the crayons heat, they will splatter, so you want to be sure to protect the area you're working in.  I leaned the canvas against an old box so the crayon would drip down the canvas as the wax melted.  I also used old boxes on either side to catch any of the splatter.  Once I had everything set up, I was ready to start melting the crayons. 

I used high heat and held the hair dryer 3-5 inches away from the crayons.  I started getting results within just a few minutes.

Continue this process until you have the amount of melted crayon you'd like.  Once the crayon is dry, you can flip your canvas over to add the embellished flowers.


Use the hot glue to attach as few or as many flowers as you'd like to your artwork.  Once completed, you can frame or hang as is!




No comments:

Post a Comment