Pages

5/26/2013

Banana Breakfast Cake

Happy Sunday!  How's everyone's weekend so far?  We've been enjoying a pretty relaxing weekend so far!  One of my best friends came over Friday night for grilled burgers and veggies and game night.  We love board games of all kinds and enjoy having friends and family over to discover new games.  We opened up our new Deadwood game and spent the evening discovering the rules and developing strategies for a successful game.

Yesterday Troy and I went with my parents to lay flowers at my grandma's headstone and check out a quilt shop that recently hit our radar.  My mom and I love visiting quilt shops to check out the different fabrics, patterns and finished crafts on display.  And last night Troy and I stayed in for a movie night.

I'm glad we've kept the weekend pretty low-key and stress-free as we can.  I'm headed into work today for the afternoon and evening.  I have a love-hate relationship with weekend workdays.  They're great for getting a ton of things done since there are only one or two other people in the office, but terrible for being able to spend days off with family and friends.  Thankfully I'm off tomorrow in celebration of Memorial Day where we'll head to lay flowers at my aunt's grave and out for lunch with extended family.

Before I head to get ready for work, I thought I'd share a recipe I recently came across on the Chiquita Banana website: Banana Breakfast Cookie.  I read through the recipe a few times and tailored it towards our taste.  I had originally intended to make the cookies, but after seeing the batter, I opted to make a cake instead.  So without further ado, here is Banana Breakfast Cake.

 
 
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 whole bananas, mashed
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup craisins

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, banana, egg, and vanilla until smooth.  Gradually mix in flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and carrots.  Once mixed, fold in chocolate chips and craisins.  Pour into 9x9 greased baking dish and bake for 30-35 or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.



I'm not usually one for adding carrots to my cakes as the texture is sometimes objectionable.  I must say, I was not at all bothered by the texture of the carrots in this dish.  With that being said, I'm thinking I may try this again sans carrots and chocolate chips, and instead with craisins and some other dried fruit.  I'll keep you posted!

In closing, please take a moment to remember the reason for this holiday weekend.  Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment